At the end of the scheduled session, the legislature has still yet to pass a budget or school finance bill. The next several days are likely to be long and contentious. After spending several days at the Capitol in the last week I can tell you that the members are working hard, but ready to find solutions and head home.
I Timothy 2:1-2 says:
“First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way.”
Our leaders need our prayers.
Here are five specific ways you can prayer specifically for members of the Kansas Legislature at this important time:
- Pray for wisdom, patience, and understanding. These tax and education issues are complex. The principles and goals of the progressive, moderate, and conservative factions make reaching solutions difficult.
- Pray for truth to prevail. There are dozens of special interest groups, lobbyists, journalists, and more with a vested interest in what the legislature does. It is easy for facts to become lost or obscured in the debate.
- Pray for courage. There will be immense pressure to violate one’s conscience or principles. Compromise is a fundamental part of democratic governance, but finding the balance between statesmanship and surrender can be difficult, especially when leaders are tired and frustrated.
- Pray for staff. While elected officials face the challenge of writing and voting on legislation, there are hundreds of staffers who are asked to do research, draft language, craft communications, and more. Their service goes unnoticed, but is no less vital.
- Pray for families. Behind our elected leaders are spouses, children, grandchildren, and parents whose lives are also impacted by the arduous lawmaking process.
Family Policy Alliance of Kansas will be keeping a close eye on things as the session winds to a close. If any of the bills have major policy implications for Kansas families, we will be there to fight for you and alert you to what’s happening.
In the meantime, thank you for your faithful prayers.
P.S. When you partner with Family Policy Alliance of Kansas, you help ensure that generations of Kansans will live in a state where God is honored, religious freedom flourishes, families thrive and life is cherished. Thanks for being part of our team!