By Paul Weber, President & CEO
Did we all watch the same State of the Union Speech?
To watch the news pundits parse each line and put their spin on the President’s remarks—you would be hard pressed to think that we did. To watch a large swath of Congress sit on their hands and at times visibly scowl, is yet another indication that it’s not America first for many, but power first.
Despite the evidence of lower taxes, lower unemployment, more and more businesses providing bonuses, Isis on the run, a budget that increases spending for our neglected men & women in uniform, infrastructure and national security; many left-leaning members of Congress and the media would have us think that we are living in a different and failing world.
Perhaps the victories that went unstated in the State of the Union speech are what really have the Left in a tailspin. Victories for our families such as:
- The U.S. House passed the Born Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act by 241-183! This bill requires proper medical care be given to infants who survive an abortion–now the Senate needs to follow suit and send the bill onto President Trump.
- The Department of Health and Human Services issued a letter ending the Obama Administration’s attempt to force states to include abortion providers in taxpayer funded Medicaid programs.
- Health and Human Services also issued a new proposed rule to protect doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals from being forced to participate in abortions or assisted suicide.
- President Trump called on the Senate to send him the Pain Capable Unborn Child Protection Act—banning abortions after 20 weeks, the point by which preborn babies can feel horrific pain. While the Senate failed to pass this essential legislation, many vulnerable Senators up for election in 2018 are now on record as being out of step with their constituents and the nation!
These victories are made possible through your support and engagement, as well as through the many allies working together with Family Policy Alliance across the nation.
Let’s face the facts… America is a divided nation.
It’s why Family Policy Alliance exists and why we will continue to:
- Work within the church to help pastors and believers understand our essential role as salt and light within our communities; to “know our God, stand firm and take action” (Dan. 11:32).
- Mobilize Pro-family voters to elect candidates that reflect our values—not those of special interest groups.
- Advance legislation that protects life, defends religious liberty and strengthens the family.
- Train the next generation of Statesmen—men and women called to serve in elected office and bring about transformation from within—through our sister organization, Family Policy Foundation.
- Speak on behalf of the family of believers nationwide and rally the church to engage in our communities for the “welfare of the city (Jer. 29:7).”
Friends, if we are growing tired of the divisiveness in our nation… then we have to act.
Together, we can amplify our voices in the public square. Together, we have the ability to elect leaders locally in 2018 that best reflect our values at the state and national level. Together, we can silence activist courts by requiring that our legislatures reign them in.
Together, through the humility and prayers of the faithful to our Lord and by loving our neighbor as ourselves, our nation can be restored.
Are you in?