CA Update: The “Hush Up” Bill Hits the Senate. Join Thousands in Speaking Up to Senators!
Before we get to the good news, let’s get the bad news out of the way first: The California bill (AB 2943) that tells believers to hush up on matters of biblical sexuality has passed the state Assembly and will soon be heard in the Senate. And it’s still just as bad as we shared with you last month:
- A therapist or pastoral counselor could be prosecuted for helping a 20-year-old who is struggling with her gender and pays for counseling to help her accept her God-given birth sex.
- A Christian college could face punishment if a professor teaches about God’s design for sexuality.
- Even a Christian bookstore owner or non-profit ministry that sells a book that contains similar messaging could face the long arm of the law.
And now, at least one major evangelical ministry has already cancelled plans to conduct training programs in California out of concern over this bill. The impact from this bill could be huge!
But there IS good news. All over California, people are speaking up. Thousands of you spoke up to Assembly members, and although the bill still passed that body, the strong opposition started generating negative attention towards the bill. Even the L.A. Times wrote an editorial about the bill that was quite critical.
Now it’s time to make our voices heard with senators!
Here’s what you can do:
- Please send a quick note to your senator – plus the committee members who are about to consider the bill. You can reach them all with just a click on our Action Center.
- Please share this message far and wide. Let your friends know that you are making a difference – and that their voice is needed, too!
Thank you for making your voice heard at this critical time!
The Family Policy Alliance Team