Remember the Equal Rights Amendment? Well the decades-dead effort by the Left to enshrine the right to abortion into the Constitution has now re-emerged in Georgia, and we need your help to stop it.
Legislators, many of whom have entirely noble intentions, are pushing for our state to ratify the ERA, and you need to know the consequences:
- Passage of the ERA will be used to argue for a fundamental right to abortion. The ERA could be interpreted as enshrining in our Constitution a right to taxpayer-funded abortions. That’s because under the ERA, there would be no difference between abortions and medically necessary procedures sought by men, so the state must pay for abortions under Medicaid. Make no mistake about it, this is the Left’s way to impose New York-style abortion laws on Georgia.
- Deeply held religious beliefs will be under attack. Hundreds of churches in Georgia will almost certainly be faced with a dilemma: Change your doctrines, policies, and practices regarding male-only clergy, or risk losing your tax-exempt status.
- Strong gains made by women would be undone by liberal definitions of “sex.” The courts would be empowered to define “sex” and “equality of rights,” which could grant special legal rights to people on the basis of “sexual orientation” and “gender identity.” That would threaten religious liberty and conscience protections as well as the proud meaning and strong gains of womanhood.
- The safety, privacy, and dignity of women and girls would come under threat. Traditional male and female bathrooms, locker rooms, hospital rooms, nursing homes, etc., would be nullified because under the ERA, women and men must be treated as indistinguishable. This would place our young children at risk and seriously jeopardize privacy.
- Worthwhile distinctions for men and women would be lost. The ERA would supersede Title IX and permit males and females to compete for inclusion on the same sports teams, as evidenced by Pennsylvania’s Supreme Court, which invalidated sex-segregated sports policies, including contact sports, citing the state’s ERA. Moreover, regardless of the statistical evidence showing that women live longer than men or that women have better driving records, women would likely have to pay the same auto and life-insurance rates as men.
Look, we get it. We also believe that women, just like men, are made in the image of God and are equal in every way. This does not mean, however, that there are not important and valid distinctions, and it certainly does not mean that the negative outcomes in a nation that allows abortion and increasingly fails to define “sex” as something concrete and rooted in biology should be swept under the rug. While this concept may sound nice, the consequences are severe!
This is not your grandmother’s ERA. This isn’t about equality or women’s rights. It’s about eliminating womanhood and guaranteeing abortion.
Because there is so much confusion about the ERA, your legislators may be considering support based on false information. Please call your representative and senator today to urge them to oppose this pro-abortion, anti-woman bill!
Simply click on this link, enter your zip code and click on the Georgia tab, and you’ll find the phone number for your state senator and state representative. Please call each of them and simply leave a message asking them to oppose the pro-abortion Equal Rights Amendment.
Thank you for defending life and womanhood!
Brittany Jones, Esq.
Policy Director for Family Policy Alliance of Georgia