I want to take a moment this week and alert you to an incredibly important event happening here in North Dakota which is directly related to protecting mothers and the lives of their preborn children. I’m talking about the 40 Days for Life event. Here are the pertinent facts about the event and how you can be involved.
What is it? 40 Days for Life (40 DFL) is the largest internationally coordinated pro-life mobilization in the world, helping people in local communities come together to end the injustice of abortion.
How does it work? There are three primary components to 40 DFL.
- Prayer and Fasting: As it says in Jeremiah 29:12, “Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you.” Prayer is one of the most powerful tools available to Christians and I can think of few better purposes than using it to end the scourge of abortion here in North Dakota and around the world.
- Peaceful Vigil: In our case, this would take place in the public right-of-way outside the Red River Women’s Clinic – our state’s abortion facility that takes the lives of roughly 1,200 children each year. A peaceful, prayerful presence in front of the abortion facility will be held 7 days a week, 24 hours a day for the 40 days.
- Community Outreach: Spread the life message to every corner of our state through media efforts, advocacy and public visibility.
But does it actually make a difference? You bet it does! With over 750,000 prayer volunteers worldwide, 40 DFL has saved 14,643 lives from abortion, led to the conversion of 177 abortion workers, and has seen 96 abortion centers close. In Fargo alone, since the first campaign in 2007, we know of 92 babies that have been saved from abortion.
When will 40 DFL begin? The campaign begins at 8 am on Wed., Sept. 25 and concludes on Sunday, November 3rd.
How can I get involved?
- Participate in the sidewalk prayer vigil: Simply go to 40daysforlifend.com, click “Schedule” in the upper right corner, and sign up to pray outside of the Red River Women’s Clinic (512 1st Avenue North in Fargo ).
- Pray where you are: If you can’t make it to the prayer vigil for some reason, you can certainly pray where you are, at home, with a group from church, etc. One idea is to set aside the same time to pray each of the 40 days and put it on your mobile device calendar so you don’t forget.
- Spread the news! We need your help to share this information about 40 DFL through email, social media, in-person conversations, and other appropriate avenues.
How do I get more information about 40 DFL?
- In Fargo call (701) 356-7979
- Outside of Fargo call (701) 284-6601
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Go to 40daysforlifend.com
I strongly encourage you to participate in 40 Days for Life in any way possible. Our God can do amazing things when His people call upon His name!
President and Executive Director