Do you want your federal tax dollars to used promote abortion and to provide new grants to Planned Parenthood?
That’s what the U.S. House is considering this week, and we are urging all Americans who care about life to make your voice heard in Congress.
These pro-abortion maneuvers are part of a major appropriations bill that funds several departments, including Defense, Commerce, Education and Health & Human Services. It follows on the heels of another funding measure last week that weakened pro-life protections against abortion funding overseas. Despite all Republicans plus seven Democrats voting “no”, the Pelosi House passed that bill, sending it on to the Senate.
This week’s bill, H.R. 7617, goes even further:
- It alters current law to allows federal funds to pay for abortions in the District of Columbia.
- It requires the Title X family planning program to be administered as it was during the Obama Administration, funding groups including Planned Parenthood that lost federal dollars under President Trump’s Protecting Life Rule.
- It forces Title X grantees to provide information about abortion to every patient with a positive pregnancy test.
- It overturns the Conscience Protection Rule that was issued by the Trump Administration to protect health care workers from discrimination if they do not want to participate in abortion, sterilization, or assisted suicide.
- It blocks teen-pregnancy funding from going to groups that teach abstinence before marriage, and it also zeroes out all funding for abstinence education.
It’s clear that the Democrat-controlled House is committed to undermining pro-life policies at every turn. They have used the appropriations process to gut pro-life rules and roll back life-affirming executive orders. While Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) clearly has a tight grip on the Democrat caucus, all Members of Congress need to hear from their constituents about the importance of protecting life in legislation. It is true that the life issue is a mostly partisan one today, but it need not be that way forever.
As Rep. Chris Smith, chairman of the Congressional Pro-Life Caucus, said during debate last week, “Someday, future generations of Americans will look back on us and wonder how and why a society that prided itself on its commitment to human rights precluded virtually all protection to the weakest and most vulnerable – unborn children.”
If you believe life should be protected in law by all lawmakers, will you contact your representative and ask him or her to vote against H.R. 7617 because of the many anti-life provisions it contains? It only takes a few moments on our Action Center.
Thanks for speaking up and spreading the word!