If Joe Biden intended to distance himself from the extreme Left with his VP pick yesterday, he failed.
Sen. Kamala Harris, whom Biden tapped as his running mate, holds positions that are among the most radical in the U.S. Senate, especially on social issues.
To get a sense of where she’s coming from ideologically, just take a look at her positions on three key social issues: abortion, LGBT issues and religious freedom.
Harris on Abortion: Supports It Up to Birth – and Beyond
For starters, Harris toes the line of Planned Parenthood on every abortion issue:
- Supports abortion up to the moment of birth – and even after, calling it a woman’s decision on whether care should be offered to a baby who survives an abortion
- Has a 100% voting record according to Planned Parenthood and NARAL Pro-Choice America
- Sponsor of the infamous “Women’s Health Protection Act” that would have invalidated nearly every federal or state restriction on abortion
But Harris goes even further. She has a plan to pre-emptively stop states from passing new pro-life legislation. Under her plan, states and localities that “have a pattern of violating Roe v. Wade” would have to seek pre-clearance from the Department of Justice before a law dealing with abortion could go into effect. Specifically, the Department of Justice would have to certify that “it comports with Roe v. Wade.”
Harris on LGBT Agenda: Zealous Advocate for Full Playbook
Harris first gained notoriety on LGBT issues when, as Attorney General of California, she refused to defend Prop 8, the constitutional amendment protecting marriage that was passed by the voters of California. Later, as AG, she personally performed same-sex weddings.
As a presidential candidate, she zealously advocated for the entire LGBT playbook, plus some of her own additions. These included:
- Forcing school students to share bathrooms and locker rooms with the opposite gender
- Overturning President Trump’s ban on transgenders in the military – thus prioritizing social engineering over military readiness
- Establishing a White House LGBT czar – the “Chief Advocate for LGBTQ+ Affairs” – who would work with agencies throughout the federal government to advance the LGBT agenda
- Forcing taxpayers to subsidize so-called “sex-change” surgeries through guaranteed coverage in her Medicare for All plan
Harris on Religious Freedom: Limit It
Sen. Harris seems to only have one approach with regard to religious freedom – limiting it. In fact, she introduced a bill to do exactly that. Her so-called “Do No Harm Act” would forbid First Amendment religious freedom protections if the religious views were deemed to be discriminatory against people who identify as LGBT. In other words, in Kamala Harris’ world, the LGBT worldview trumps religious freedom every time.
As a senator, Harris also stirred up controversy when she attacked a Catholic whom President Trump had nominated for a federal judgeship. She called him an “extremist” simply because he is a member of the Knights of Columbus, a Catholic fraternal organization.
Most importantly, the selection of Kamala Harris says a lot about Joe Biden – what he stands for and the kind of people he would appoint to fill thousands of federal leadership positions. His pick underscores the monumental stakes in this election.