We recognize the existential threat for religious freedom posed by the Equality Act legislation that is making its way through the U.S. Congress.
That’s why Family Policy Alliance of Idaho has joined other pro-family organizations in expressing our concerns to U.S. Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) and Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY).
Representatives from nearly fifty national and state-based organizations – including Family Policy Alliance of Idaho, Alliance Defending Freedom, Heritage Action, and the American Association of Christian Schools – signed on to the joint letter last week.
The letter affirms that “all people have inherent dignity and should be treated with respect” but explains how the Equality Act “creates greater inequality, hurting not only women, people of faith, religious organizations, employers, and medical professionals, but especially children and their parents.”
What makes the Equality Act so dangerous? This radical legislation adds “sexual orientation” and “gender identity” as protected categories in civil rights law. This would mean:
- Punishing doctors, counselors, and therapists who offer medically and biblically sound treatment to patients struggling with same-sex attraction or gender dysphoria
- Preventing private Christian schools and universities from enforcing sex-specific dress codes or employee and student honor codes that reflect biblical sexuality
- Eradicating athletic opportunities for girls and women by empowering men to play in girls’ high school and college sports
- Endangering church and parachurch ministries like domestic violence shelters, gospel rescue missions, and pregnancy resource centers with sex-specific facilities and programs
- Potentially requiring professional discipline for public and private school teachers who use scientifically correct pronouns for students struggling with gender dysphoria
- Fining and shutting down Christian businesses with sincerely held, conscientious objections to participating in same-sex wedding ceremonies—including photographers, independent florists, mom-and-pop bakers, and family-owned wedding venues
We cannot let the Equality Act decimate our religious freedom. It is vitally important that we defeat the Equality Act and strengthen religious freedom protections at both the state and federal level.
Will you support this important effort by committing to a monthly gift of $25, $75, or $100? Your support enables Family Policy Alliance of Idaho to keep advocating for your family’s freedom to live out your faith. Thank you!
Standing for you,