“I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your wonders of old.” (Psalm 77:11)
On behalf of Family Policy Alliance of New Mexico, I want to wish you and your family a Happy New Year and extend my deepest gratitude to all of you who supported us financially in 2018. I say it often—we could not do this without you and thanks to your generosity, we ended our inaugural year very well.
As we begin a new year, I want to take a moment to reflect on where we have been and where we are headed. Therefore, this week, I am proud to share with you our “Top 3 Accomplishments of 2018.”
#1—Our work during the 2018 Legislative Session
In 2018, we participated in our first Legislative Session and provided critical analysis and support to our legislators on issues related to life, family, and religious freedom. Most notably, we managed to get one of our legislative priorities—House Bill 56, which would have required that notification be given to a parent when their minor child obtains an abortion—on the agenda, which is especially difficult during a 30-day session. Not only that, we further managed to get House Bill 56 a hearing in spite of the committee chairman’s efforts to stall the bill. We also teamed up with New Mexico Prays to host “Pastors’ Day at the State Capitol.” More than 100 pastors and faith leaders from various denominations and communities across New Mexico participated in the event, which included a luncheon and prayer service in the Capitol Rotunda.
#2—Our participation in the 2018 Statesmen Academy
During the summer of 2018, we were honored to help host the 2018 Statesmen Academy®—a weeklong conference for on-the-rise Christian legislators and aspiring policymakers. This annual event provides attendees with an enduring fellowship of mutual encouragement and accountability, spiritual strength, and political wisdom, and in 2018, we were blessed to have two of our New Mexico State Representatives in attendance—Rebecca Dow and Rod Montoya. Statesmen Academy classes were taught by experienced Christian legislative leaders including retired U.S. Senator Tom Coburn of Oklahoma, Congressman Daniel Webster of Florida, Senator Paul Gazelka, Majority Leader of the Minnesota Senate, Dr. Matt Spalding of Hillsdale College, and Clark Forsythe of Americans United for Life.
#3—Our work during the 2018 Election
There is no question that the 2018 Election was dominated by the liberal and progressive wings of our state party politics. However, all was not lost on election night, as 8 of the candidates we endorsed for the New Mexico House of Representatives were elected or reelected, including all three of our Statesmen Academy alumni—Representatives Rebecca Dow, David Gallegos, and Rod Montoya. Notably, in Districts 22 and 63, our endorsed candidates were victorious in two of the most tightly contested races of the cycle. After a mandatory recount, Representative Gregg Schmedes won by 142 votes and Representative Martin Zamora edged out his opponent by 25 votes. Representatives Cathrynn Brown, Greg Nibert, and James Strickler were also reelected and we are truly fortunate to have them returning to the State Capitol this month!
By God’s grace, and with your prayers and generous support, that is where we have been. And the good news is, we are headed in some exciting directions in 2019!
Please stay tuned next week for our “Top 3 Goals for 2019.”
Until then, God bless you and best wishes for a prosperous new year!
Soli Deo Gloria,
President and Executive Director
P.S. As you plan your charitable giving for 2019, please keep us in mind and consider setting up a recurring monthly gift to support our efforts. 2019 will be full of opportunities and threats when it comes to the issues and values we care about. But, together, and with the good Lord’s blessing, this will be a year in which we continue to move the ball forward for a New Mexico where God is honored, religious freedom flourishes, families thrive, and life is cherished!
I LOVE my son Cade, but he’s, um… a little different. Everyone who has ever met him knows that he is 100% unique and 100% trouble, and he cracks me up in countless ways.
One of the ways he makes me laugh is his constant question of “where are we?” every time he goes somewhere. We’ll be out, and he’ll ask to go potty. The moment we step into the bathroom he says, “where are we?” despite having asked to go there and seeing that it looks like every other bathroom.
We walk into Chick fil a- somewhere he has been quite often in his nearly 3 years on this planet- “where are we?”
We go to a store “where are we?”
We come home from an outing “where are we?”
What makes the question even more amusing is that EVERY time- without fail- he will ask while getting ready to go somewhere “where are we going?” This crazy child insists on knowing where we are headed, confirming the location once we arrive, and gathering new information every time he enters somewhere different- even if it is an ultra-familiar place like his own house.
But, while his extreme persistence on the issue is humorous and the cute manner in which he asks the questions will stay with me forever, Cade isn’t all that different than the rest of us. We all want to know where we are and where we are headed, don’t we?
As we begin to close 2018, I want to share with you briefly where Family Policy Alliance of Georgia® is and where we, with your help and the Lord’s will, hope to be.
With the culmination of the elections, we have now progressed from what I described early on as “Phase 1” to “Phase 2” of our organization’s development- one that has transitioned from a relevant factor in Georgia politics to one that is a serious force. And, I am pushing for more.
Here’s some of what you helped us accomplish in 2018:
- Our team authored 3 bills and supported many others under the Gold Dome. FPA authored legislation was covered by the AJC, Fox 5, and other local and national outlets.
- We trained 4 pro-family leaders at the Family Policy Foundation® Statesmen Academy™- furthering a coalition of allies partnering with us at the Capitol.
- In the primary election, 13 of our 16 endorsed candidates advanced- including 2017 Statesmen Alum, Ken Pullin, who defeated an entrenched incumbent with an astonishing 63%-37% margin.
- In the runoff election, we became an early supporter of Governor-Elect Brian Kemp, providing him with our backing prior to any poll showing a close race. We stood strong for the candidate we were confident would best fight for our values, and the Lord honored this leap of faith by delivering a huge upset win.
- In the general and runoff election, 13 of the 17 candidates we supported in contentious races won- including Brian Kemp, Geoff Duncan, and Brad Raffensperger. This sets our state on an AWESOME new path forward for our values!
- Our targeted election activities produced more than 2 million voter contacts across our state.
- I was selected to serve on the Georgians First Committee, serving the incoming Kemp Administration by advising on issues important to Georgia families.
- As we approach the 2019 legislative session, we are reviving our legislation from 2018 and leading the charge on more- all with more support because of the new leadership we supported in the election!
- All of this was accomplished because of the commitment of Georgia believers who helped us nearly double our revenue and increase our impact ten-fold.
After a highly successful year, we are poised to make 2019 even better. Will you commit to supporting the educational, policy, and training programs of Family Policy Foundation with a tax-deductible gift today. Remember, your gift will be matched dollar for dollar through our $20,000 matching grant!
Your support will help us accomplish a big vision as we seek to make pro-family policy the core of what drives our state, to be the organization that carries the most political weight in the state, and to, ultimately, transform our culture for the glory of God. With your help we can, in the near future:
- Send 6 rising, pro-family leaders to our Statesmen Academy in 2019.
- Pass multiple bills to protect life, religious freedom, school choice, the centrality of the family, and God’s design.
- Develop resources for the Christian business community and for churches.
- Engage in more training and speaking throughout the state to empower Christian activists.
- Hire additional staff to grow our footprint here in Georgia.
- And much more…
Our organization is growing, thriving, and making a difference here in Georgia. But, we can do so much more. Please take advantage of this critical year-end opportunity and matching grant by donating today.
Because of you, we are in a very exciting place right now, and, with your help, where we are going will be even better.
President and Executive Director
This month sets off an avalanche of important legislation, as state legislatures begin their sessions in 41 states in January. Already, Family Policy Alliance is tracking hundreds of bills that could have big impact on life, families and freedom.
• Life. At this writing, state legislators have already introduced 241 abortion-related bills. Many of those bills would protect life in a variety of ways, from restricting taxpayer funding of abortions to requiring parental consent or notification before an abortion. But other bills would pave the way for even more abortions by providing public funding or repealing common-sense restrictions.
• LGBT. Meanwhile, the push for the LGBT agenda continues in many states, as 139 such bills have been introduced so far. Many of these bills seek to erase distinctions between men and women. They also seek to make people, companies, churches and schools civilly liable if they continue to honor the biological differences of men and women in their locker rooms and bathrooms, insurance policies, terms of employment, or services they provide.
• Religious Freedom/Pro-Family. Thankfully, 32 bills have been introduced to protect religious freedom, and another 57 bills could be classified as pro-family based on their proposed protections for adoption, safe-haven policies, parental rights and prenatal care.
• Education. And 140 family-related education bills are currently pending. Many of these bills advance school choice through programs such as vouchers, tax credits, scholarships and savings accounts. Others protect homeschooling rights, including “Tim Tebow bills” to allow homeschooled students to participate in public-school athletic programs. Others are very problematic, including bills to allow intrusive student surveys, liberal sex-education programs, and more.
Check out our heat map! The darker the color, the more bills that impact families that we’re tracking in a state so far.
How Family Policy Alliance Helps You: Obviously, tracking all of these bills – and the hundreds more still to be introduced – is a daunting task. Family Policy Alliance keeps tabs on them in two ways. First, we subscribe to computerized services that allow us to stay on top of every bill and every vote. Second, we utilize our close relationships with pro-family groups in nearly every state to get the inside scoop on what’s happening and where action is most needed.
Then, based on good information, we alert concerned citizens like you about key upcoming votes in which you could make a difference by speaking up to your elected official. And we make it as quick and easy as possible for you to take action through our handy Action Center. Usually just a click or two is all it takes to make your voice heard.
How You Can Make a Difference on These Bills: Besides taking action yourself, please share this article (and other action alerts) with friends, encouraging them to join the growing army of concerned citizens who are making an impact on values issues.
“Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.” (ESV, Ephesians 3:20-21)
On behalf of Family Policy Alliance of New Mexico, I want to wish you a Happy New Year! I also want to extend a huge THANK YOU to those of you who contributed toward our year-end fundraising goal. We could not do this without you, and thanks to your generosity, we ended 2017 on a positive note!
As we begin 2018, people across the nation will commence their New Year’s resolutions, meaning your local gym will be extremely busy – at least for a few weeks. It’s no secret that few of us manage to maintain our resolutions for the entire year. In fact, I recently read that 80% of resolutions don’t make it past February and 92% fail before year’s end. That’s right – only 8% of those who make New Year’s resolutions actually keep them.
Well, the good news is that Family Policy Alliance of New Mexico is committed to being part of the 8%, and, as we commence a new year, we are proud to share these eight resolutions for 2018 with you:
- We resolve to stand for the freedom of individuals, churches, and businesses to speak and act according to their faith.
- We resolve to stand for families by promoting public policy that strengthens and supports families, while opposing efforts to weaken or harm them.
- We resolve to stand for life from conception through natural death.
- We resolve to work alongside our state-based allies to advance the causes and values that matter most to you.
- We resolve to equip local leaders with the training, resources, and community they need to live out their calling to public service.
- We resolve to engage with people of all backgrounds and beliefs through respectful, truthful dialogue.
- We resolve to help people like you understand the tremendous rights, responsibilities, influence, and opportunities you have to make a difference in our state.
- We resolve to serve as dependable, honest resource to help keep you informed about current events and public policy issues impacting religious freedom, families, and life.
As for you – we would respectfully ask you to resolve to do at least one thing for us this year, and that is to PRAY FOR US! This year will be full of both opportunities and threats when it comes to our work and efforts; therefore, your prayers are both coveted and greatly appreciated. We sincerely believe that together, and with God’s blessing, 2018 can be a year in which we move the ball forward for a New Mexico where God is honored, religious freedom flourishes, families thrive, and life is cherished!
Thank you for your support and best wishes for a joy-filled and prosperous new year!
In the Lord’s service,
President and Executive Director
What Will Idaho Look Like In 2018?
The new year is here, and Family Policy Alliance of Idaho is hitting the ground running! The 2018 session of the Idaho Legislature convenes in mere days. Religious liberty, parental rights, and life remain under constant attack by groups like the ACLU and Planned Parenthood who are fully committed to eradicating religious freedom. They bring dozens upon dozens of people to the Statehouse to speak out against life, biblical values, and freedom.
Good policy only happens when good people make their voices heard. Family Policy Alliance of Idaho will continue to protect, promote, and defend religious liberty, family, and life. We will be your eyes, ears, hands, and feet at the Idaho Legislature.
You can count on us to alert you throughout, and at times, ask you to make your voice heard. Legislators need to know what you think and that you will hold them accountable for their vote.
What will 2018 bring to Idaho? It is up to God’s people!
While promoting good legislation, we must also stand firmly in the path of bad policy.
Each year, the battle for family, faith, and freedom intensifies. The contemporary politically correct orthodoxy has become more belligerent and more inclined to punish anyone who stands in their way. Anti-religion groups continue to bully and coerce faith-based business owners, educators, and others who choose to honor God in their work.
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito said, “You don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. A wind is picking up that is hostile to those with traditional moral beliefs. We are likely to see pitched battles in courts and Congress, state legislatures and town halls. But the most important fight is for the hearts and minds of our fellow Americans.”
He is right. And, if the trend to eradicate Christian influence strengthens, our ability to live out our faith and impact our culture will be greatly diminished. We must maintain the God-given freedom to impact Idaho for Jesus.
What can you do?
- Take a few minutes to weigh in when Family Policy Alliance of Idaho asks you to make your voice heard.
- Forward our email updates and alerts to friends and family
- Pray for Idaho, our elected officials and Family Policy Alliance of Idaho
What will 2018 bring to Idaho? That depends largely on us…the Church.
Happy New Year,
Proverbs 13:4 A sluggard’s appetite is never filled, but the desires of the diligent are fully satisfied
Football coaches and scouts will describe a player possessing a high level of intensity or fight as someone who “has some dog in him.” Here in Georgia, particularly after that incredible Rose Bowl game, we have to spell it “Dawg,” but the meaning is just the same.
Christian, do you have that Dawg in you? And, no, I’m not simply asking if you will be wearing red as Georgia prepares to take on the Tide. I want to know: do you have that fighting spirit?
Countless people around the country have made a list of “resolutions” for the New Year. I have, and perhaps you have too. Most of what is “resolved” to be done will be a dream unfulfilled. That’s why those new faces I so often see around the gym in January are long gone by February.
To accomplish real change, you have to do more than wish it. You have to want it, will it, desire it. You have to have that Dawg in you.
As we enter 2018, we also welcome in a new legislative session and a campaign season that will just be heating up. This means new opportunities, new threats, and more questions as to whether Christians will rise up and glorify their God with engagement- or simply hide behind the four walls of their church or home.
This year, Family Policy Alliance of Georgia will strive to be faithful as we take the lead in fighting for the Right to Life, parental rights, educational freedom, and against assisted suicide. We will also endorse true champions running for office, not those that bow to special interests, out-of-state corporations, or the radical liberal agenda.
Our efforts- and you partnering with us- will take courage. Those of you that support us financially and in other ways are faithfully sharing our vision that we can, one day, forge a Georgia where God is honored. The legislators that stand with us, sponsor our bills, and vote for Georgia families are running against the wave of radical leftists. And, those bold candidates that we support know that arrows will be coming- from the media, from the political establishment, and from out-of-state corporations.
Because we are truly resolved to see God glorified in our labors in 2018, we need your prayers. And, we ask that you not just include us. Include all who labor alongside, partner with, and share in the joy of glorifying the King in the public square.
Pray for all those who have that Dawg in them. Because, no matter how determined and resolved we are, we need His strength to succeed.
A brief note of thanks: To all those who supported our year end campaign, THANK YOU! It was a huge success! Because of you, we continue to grow and improve our positioning to make an even greater impact here in Georgia. I cannot thank you enough for all you do to support our ministry!
In His Service,
President and Executive Director
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” –Jeremiah 29:11
Less than three months ago, I left my job with the State of New Mexico to accept the Executive Director position with Family Policy Alliance of New Mexico. And the reason I did so was because I truly felt the Lord’s calling to pursue the vision of our organization – a state where God is honored, religious freedom flourishes, families thrive, and life is cherished.
So, what’s happened since the launch in October? More important, where are we headed?
I am glad you asked! Since October 1st, we have been working hard to create a grassroots movement of like-minded New Mexicans committed to changing our state for the good. I have personally spent much of my time visiting with pastors, business owners, and legislators, discussing our efforts, as well as the need for more engagement from the faith community. Thankfully, the response has been overwhelmingly positive and I am excited to begin a new year together!
In 2018, we will continue our work to advance Biblical citizenship so we can begin the process of turning our vision into a reality! We will do this by:
- Working alongside our state-based allies to advance the causes and values that matter most for our families;
- Equipping local leaders with the training, resources, and community they need to live out their calling to public service;
- Engaging with people of all backgrounds and beliefs through respectful, truthful conversation; and
- Helping people like you understand the tremendous rights, responsibilities, influence, and opportunities you have to make a difference.
So, for the final time this year, I am going to personally ask you to partner with us by doing three things.
- Please click here to make a financial gift before year’s end. Thanks to a generous matching grant provided by a local ministry partner, your gift today will be matched dollar-for-dollar through December 31st!
- Please add us to your prayer list for 2018. We fully acknowledge and embrace the reality that God’s blessing, wisdom, and guidance is needed in order for us to achieve the level of success we are hoping and praying for.
- Please tell your family members and friends about us. In spite of our best efforts to avoid “discussing politics” at the family gathering this Christmas, it will still likely happen. And when it does, please be sure to tell folks about the new organization in town working to advance Christian family values in government and culture.
As for those of you who are already doing these things, thank you from the bottom of my heart. My wife and children join me in thanking you for your support and we look forward to continuing to serve you in the days, weeks, months, and years to come.
Merry Christmas and God bless you!
President and Executive Director
This Christmas season marks the end of a beginning. A little over a year ago, North Dakota Family Alliance became Family Policy Alliance of North Dakota. While our fundamental mission never changed – protecting pro-family and pro-life values in North Dakota – it marked an exciting beginning. Our organization launched with the vision of ensuring our state is one where God is honored, religious freedom flourishes, families thrive, and life is cherished.
What lies ahead is the exciting prospect of working together in 2018 and beyond finding ways to further unleash our biblical citizenship here in North Dakota.
With your help, we accomplished much this past year.
- You helped us defeat a bill that would have endangered the safety of our wives and daughters by allowing men into women’s locker rooms and bathrooms.
- We preserved our state laws defining marriage as a union exclusively between a man and woman.
- We helped preserve the right of private schools to offer public prayers at athletic events.
- We created our Family Leadership Team of legislators and allied organizations, and worked on further establishing Family Policy Alliance of North Dakota as the champion for families in our state.
We give thanks to God for this successful beginning, working together to protect and preserve our values. As we enter 2018, we look forward to more wins for our families, hand in hand with you, our ministry partners.
May God bless you and your family this Christmas season as we celebrate our Lord’s birth. Remember, this year has been just the end of the beginning. Now we set about even more earnestly to “…work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. You are serving the Lord Christ.”
President and Executive Director