Psychologist Lawrence Pervin defines moral character as “a disposition to express behavior in consistent patterns of functions across a range of situations”. To the extent that Senator Heidi Heitkamp is consistent, she is providing North Dakotans an excellent view into her moral character.
The most recent example was her vote against Senator Rand Paul’s amendment to the Defense-Education-Labor-Health and Human Services appropriations bill. The amendment would have stopped taxpayer funding from going to abortion providers like Planned Parenthood and would redirect the funding toward comprehensive community health centers. The vote was close, 45 to 48, so Senator Heitkamp’s vote definitely mattered. Unfortunately, it turned out to be another vote showing that Heitkamp is more interested in funding Planned Parenthood than in representing North Dakota values and families.
Why was this amendment important? As is often the case, the numbers tell the story.
- There are over 10,000 community health center facilities across the country, providing health services to more than 27 million patients – compared with 2.4 million who use Planned Parenthood services.
- Though Planned Parenthood advocates claim that women receive mammograms at its facilities, none of the organization’s 650 facilities actually offer mammograms.
- According to Planned Parenthood’s own report for 2016-2017, it performed 321,384 abortions, averaging out to a rate of 881 per day, or one every 98 seconds.
- According to GAO, PPFA affiliates receive nearly $60 million per year in family planning grants and over $400 million per year in Medicaid reimbursements.
- Overall, Planned Parenthood received well over $500 million in federal funding, or nearly 40% of its revenue.
- Last year, Planned Parenthood spent $75.6 million on “movement building” alone, spending $128.3 million on a combination of political activities.
With stakes this high for Senator Heitkamp, she once again voted with special interest groups and not the people she claims to represent. Planned Parenthood loves her consistency. Just check out her rating on their website and scroll down to see all the votes she’s cast with them. Be sure to also scroll far enough to see the 0% rating that Planned Parenthood gave Representative Kevin Cramer. We are proud of you, Kevin!
We North Dakotans are smart enough to know that “warm, touching” ads showing a candidate talking to state residents or joking with his/her own family are not going to make us vote for them. We are no-nonsense people. It comes down to what a candidate stands for.
Senator Heitkamp has certainly voted in the past for bills that help our state, and we thank her for that. However, votes like this recent one are literally about the life and death of North Dakota children. So, I ask you to try and ignore the slick advertisements that will bombard you until voting day. Instead, focus on electing candidates based on their records – those who have consistently voted to protect your family values. You want to be able to look in the mirror after election day and see the face of someone who voted according to a biblical moral compass and who protected the life which God has bestowed upon all, even the smallest and most vulnerable among us.
President and Executive Director
Paid for by Family Policy Alliance of North Dakota