40 Days for Life Meridian begins this week—and you have the opportunity to get involved as a pro-life prayer warrior.
The movement began in 2004 when concerned residents of Bryan, Texas, came together to pray and fast for an end to abortion after seeing an abortion clinic open in their community. Soon after, other communities began imitating the prayerful and peaceful approach modeled by those faithful witnesses standing for life in Bryan.
The first nationwide 40 Days for Life campaign began in 2007, and its annual campaigns have been remarkably successful. As a result of campaign efforts, over 16,000 women decided not to get an abortion and more than 100 abortion centers have closed.
Nearly 200 abortion workers have quit their jobs, too—most notably, Abby Johnson, the director of the Planned Parenthood clinic in Bryan, Texas, who now prays with other 40 DFL volunteers outside of the clinic she left. Abby Johnson is the subject of the blockbuster movie, Unplanned, which has touched the hearts of millions of Americans and changed the minds of untold numbers of people who were formerly pro-abortion.
I talked with Emily Naugle, who shares the coordinator role for the Meridian campaign with her husband, Scott. Emily recalled a heartwarming encounter she had a couple years back while participating in the 40 DFL vigil outside the Meridian Planned Parenthood clinic.
As Emily tells it, a woman driving down the adjacent road pulled over and approached Emily. The woman shared that when she was in high school, she had made an appointment to receive an abortion at a Planned Parenthood clinic in California. She arrived at the clinic, only to see 40 DFL volunteers praying outside. The woman couldn’t bring herself to go ahead with procedure. Now, years later, she was showing pictures of her six-year-old son to Emily—a reminder that all the praying and fasting was not in vain.
How Can I Get Involved?
Participate in the prayer vigil. The 40-day prayer vigil runs from September 25th to November 3rd on the public right-of-way outside the Planned Parenthood clinic on Franklin Road in Meridian. Sign up for hour-long shifts (between 7am and 7pm) on the 40 DFL Meridian page.
The 40 DFL Meridian coordinators are praying for full coverage during all hours this campaign, so please consider participating! For those who haven’t done something like this in past, feel free to contact the campaign coordinators. They can set you up with experienced prayer warriors if schedules allow.
Pray and fast wherever you are. For those unable to attend the prayer vigil, don’t worry—your prayers and fasting will be used of God wherever you are! 40 DFL publishes daily devotionals to help guide your prayer time. And consider committing to some type of fast during the duration of the campaign. “The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much” (James 5:17).
Please consider participating in this ecumenical effort to pray and fast for the end of abortion!
Standing with you for life,
Director of Advocacy
I want to take a moment this week and alert you to an incredibly important event happening here in North Dakota which is directly related to protecting mothers and the lives of their preborn children. I’m talking about the 40 Days for Life event. Here are the pertinent facts about the event and how you can be involved.
What is it? 40 Days for Life (40 DFL) is the largest internationally coordinated pro-life mobilization in the world, helping people in local communities come together to end the injustice of abortion.
How does it work? There are three primary components to 40 DFL.
- Prayer and Fasting: As it says in Jeremiah 29:12, “Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you.” Prayer is one of the most powerful tools available to Christians and I can think of few better purposes than using it to end the scourge of abortion here in North Dakota and around the world.
- Peaceful Vigil: In our case, this would take place in the public right-of-way outside the Red River Women’s Clinic – our state’s abortion facility that takes the lives of roughly 1,200 children each year. A peaceful, prayerful presence in front of the abortion facility will be held 7 days a week, 24 hours a day for the 40 days.
- Community Outreach: Spread the life message to every corner of our state through media efforts, advocacy and public visibility.
But does it actually make a difference? You bet it does! With over 750,000 prayer volunteers worldwide, 40 DFL has saved 14,643 lives from abortion, led to the conversion of 177 abortion workers, and has seen 96 abortion centers close. In Fargo alone, since the first campaign in 2007, we know of 92 babies that have been saved from abortion.
When will 40 DFL begin? The campaign begins at 8 am on Wed., Sept. 25 and concludes on Sunday, November 3rd.
How can I get involved?
- Participate in the sidewalk prayer vigil: Simply go to 40daysforlifend.com, click “Schedule” in the upper right corner, and sign up to pray outside of the Red River Women’s Clinic (512 1st Avenue North in Fargo ).
- Pray where you are: If you can’t make it to the prayer vigil for some reason, you can certainly pray where you are, at home, with a group from church, etc. One idea is to set aside the same time to pray each of the 40 days and put it on your mobile device calendar so you don’t forget.
- Spread the news! We need your help to share this information about 40 DFL through email, social media, in-person conversations, and other appropriate avenues.
How do I get more information about 40 DFL?
- In Fargo call (701) 356-7979
- Outside of Fargo call (701) 284-6601
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Go to 40daysforlifend.com
I strongly encourage you to participate in 40 Days for Life in any way possible. Our God can do amazing things when His people call upon His name!
President and Executive Director