I’m excited to tell you that the Idaho State Legislature has passed the Heartbeat Bill (H366)!
I wanted to share with you the press release we just sent out. Now we will wait for Gov. Brad Little’s signature in the coming days.
If the governor signs the Heartbeat Bill into law, Idaho will be the thirteenth state to protect human life from the time a preborn baby’s heartbeat is detectable. This will be a huge step toward protecting all preborn life in our state!
We will keep you updated. This couldn’t have happened without your prayers, financial support, and the action you took to help build support for this bill!
Standing for life,
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Heartbeat Bill Passes Idaho State Legislature, Waits for Governor’s Signature
BOISE, Idaho – Family Policy Alliance of Idaho, a pro-family ministry, celebrates the passage of the Heartbeat Bill (H366) in the Idaho State Senate today. The bill passed the State House of Representatives last Friday and now awaits consideration by Gov. Brad Little.
The Fetal Heartbeat Preborn Child Protection Act, which is sponsored by Senator Patti Anne Lodge (R-Caldwell) and Representative Steven Harris (R-Meridian), would protect the right to life of preborn children with a detectable heartbeat. Doctors can easily find a fetal heartbeat as early as six weeks of gestational age through commonly available medical technologies like ultrasonography.
The medical community has found that 95 percent of preborn children with a fetal heartbeat detected early in the pregnancy will survive to term. Obstetricians consider fetal heart activity to be an important milestone in prenatal development and routinely run tests to determine heartrate as an important indicator of a preborn child’s health.
A statement from Blaine Conzatti, Executive Director for Family Policy Alliance of Idaho:
“Thanks to modern medical technology, every new parent now knows the excitement of first hearing their son or daughter’s heartbeat during early prenatal check-ups. This explains why a reputable national poll found that nearly 70 percent of Americans – including 55 percent of Democrats – support this life-affirming legislation.
“The Idaho Heartbeat Bill is constitutionally, scientifically, and morally sound. Governor Brad Little should sign this Heartbeat Bill and recommit Idaho as a pro-life state leading the charge in offering legal protection for its youngest and most defenseless residents. Preborn babies with beating hearts deserve the same constitutional right to life accorded to any other living person.”
For questions or to schedule an interview with Blaine Conzatti, please contact (208) 260-5844 or Media@FamilyPolicyAlliance.com.
Family Policy Alliance works to advance biblical citizenship and promote good public policy that protects religious freedom, families, and life.
Here’s a quick update on where we are at this point in legislative session:
1. The Heartbeat Bill (H366) is making its way through the state legislature. This legislation would protect a preborn child with a detectable heartbeat from abortion violence. It is sponsored by Rep. Steven Harris (R-Meridian) and Sen. Patti Anne Lodge (R-Caldwell).
2. The No Public Funds For Abortion Act (H220) would cut off taxpayer dollars to abortion providers and ban public schools, colleges, and universities from promoting or referring students for abortion services. The bill overwhelmingly passed the State House of Representatives and is waiting for a vote in the State Senate. It is sponsored by Rep. Bruce Skaug (R-Nampa) and Sen. Christy Zito (R-Hammett).
3. House Joint Resolution 4 (HJR4) is a proposed constitutional amendment that would raise the threshold that must be met before controlled substances like marijuana could be legalized in Idaho. It is sponsored by Rep. Gayann DeMordaunt (R-Meridian) and Sen. C. Scott Grow (R-Meridian). Family Policy Alliance of Idaho sent a letter to state legislators encouraging their support (you can read it here).
We will keep you updated as these bills move through the legislative process. Please be praying that the legislature passes, and that the governor signs, these pieces of legislation. We expect session to continue for at least one more week.
Heartbeat Bill Prayer Rally
Around 150 people joined Family Policy Alliance of Idaho on the Idaho State Capitol steps last week to offer praise and worship to our Lord and pray for the passage of the Idaho Heartbeat Bill.
The battle to end abortion in our state is a spiritual battle. For this reason it was a blessing to gather with other believers as we waged spiritual warfare with prayer and worship!
Speakers included Blaine Conzatti (Family Policy Alliance), Christian Welp (Roman Catholic Diocese of Boise), Tammy Payne and Jason Herring (Right to Life of Idaho), Linda Thomas (Stanton Healthcare), Heather Lawless (Reliance Ministries), Monte Sears (Christian Faith Center), Alan Burrow (The King’s Congregation), and Josh Bales (The Well Church). Rep. Brent Crane (R-Nampa) and Senators Patti Anne Lodge (R-Caldwell), Christy Zito (R-Hammett), and Regina Bayer (R-Meridian) also joined us.
Thanks for your financial support. Together we will keep working for an Idaho where God is honored, religious freedom flourishes, families thrive, and life is cherished!
The Idaho State Legislature returns today after recessing for two weeks because of COVID-19 spread at the State Capitol.
This is the home stretch of the legislative session—and time is running out on important pro-life bills. Here are three actions that you can take to make your voice heard:
- Send a message right now to your state legislators asking them to support the Heartbeat Bill (S1183). We need your help in flooding legislative inboxes with emails supporting this important protection for preborn life. Since the legislature has been out for two weeks, we’d recommend resending your legislators the message, even if you’ve sent it before.
- Sign our petition asking state legislators to defund Planned Parenthood and other abortion providers. The petition will be presented to legislators tomorrow when our No Public Funds For Abortion Act is given a hearing in Senate committee.
- Attend the Heartbeat Bill Prayer Rally on this Thursday, April 8th. We will sing praises to our Lord as we pray for greater protections for the preborn in our state. This event will take place at 5:30pm MT on the State Capitol steps. More details here: https://fb.me/e/PH2AvWyh.
Thanks for your prayers and financial support as we finish the race strong! With your help, Family Policy Alliance of Idaho will keep working for an Idaho where God is honored, religious freedom flourishes, families thrive, and life is cherished.
Standing with you,
We only have a few weeks left of legislative session. That means the team at Family Policy Alliance of Idaho will be using every minute available to us to shepherd our Heartbeat Bill (S1183) across the finish line.
Will you join us for the Heartbeat Bill Prayer Rally next week as we come before the Lord to worship and seek him?
WHEN: Thursday, April 8th at 5:30pm MT
WHERE: Idaho State Capitol Steps (700 West Jefferson St, Boise, ID 83702)
WHAT: We will praise and worship our Lord as we take a public stand for greater legal protections for preborn children!
EVENT PAGE: https://fb.me/e/PH2AvWyh
The Heartbeat Bill would save almost all babies from abortion if it were enacted into law and made effective. Let’s make sure we all get involved to protect these precious lives.
We look forward to seeing you at the Heartbeat Bill Prayer Rally!
P.S. Please send an email to your state legislators right now asking for them to support the Heartbeat Bill. Since the legislature has been out for two weeks, we’d recommend resending your legislators the message, even if you’ve sent it before.
It only takes a minute of your time when you use our Action Center. Your emails will help push the Heartbeat Bill across the finish line. Thanks!
Our new Heartbeat Bill (S1183) just passed the Senate Committee—and we need your help to get it through the Senate and the House! Contact your state senator and representatives right now.
Here are three things you can do to support the Heartbeat Bill:
1. Join us at the Heartbeat Bill Prayer Rally. We will sing praises to our Lord as we pray for greater protections for the preborn in our state. This event will take place on Monday, March 22nd at 5pm MT on the State Capitol steps. More details here: https://fb.me/e/QlmnhDWu.
2. Please contact your state legislators right now to voice your support for the Heartbeat Bill. Click here to use our Action Center to automatically send your message to your legislators. It only takes a minute and makes a big difference!
3. Please pray! Heavenly Father, we ask that you will give our state lawmakers will understand their responsibility to protect preborn human life. Give us the strength to keep laboring until abortion is abolished in Idaho and all babies receive the equal protection of the law. In the name of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, we pray. Amen.
P.S. Nearly seven out of ten Americans support Heartbeat Bills that protect preborn life after a heartbeat is detectable. This includes a majority of the members of both political parties (86% of Republicans, 61% of independents, and 55% of Democrats)—a pretty remarkable statistic considering that it’s nothing short of a miracle to get both sides of the political aisle to agree on much of anything these days. Contact your state legislators now to ask for their support!
Today is Idaho State Heartbeat Day! Please join us on the State Capitol steps this evening at 5:30 pm MT for the Heartbeat Bill Prayer Rally. We will sing songs of praise and come together in prayer for the passage of the Heartbeat Bill and greater legal protections for the preborn in Idaho. Don’t miss it! More details available here: https://fb.me/e/PH2AvWyh
To celebrate Idaho State Heartbeat Day and build support for the Heartbeat Bill (S1183), Family Policy Alliance of Idaho partnered with the Roman Catholic Diocese of Boise to arrange a visit to the office of every legislator this morning to highlight the Heartbeat Bill. It’s happening right now, even as you read this email!
Suffice it to say that this place is buzzing with talk about saving babies!
Let’s make Idaho the fourteenth state in the country to protect preborn babies from the moment their beating hearts can be detected. Make sure to join us this evening at the Idaho State Capitol in Boise for praise, worship, and prayer as we trust the Lord for the outcome of this important pro-life legislation!
The Idaho Heartbeat Bill has been reintroduced in the Idaho Legislature.
Here are four reasons why your state senator should support the Heartbeat Bill, which bans abortions after a preborn baby’s heartbeat can be found:
- Doctors can detect the heartbeat of a preborn child as early as six weeks of gestational age with commonly available and routinely used ultrasound technology.
- Somewhere between 95 and 98 percent of preborn children with a heartbeat detected early in the pregnancy will survive to term.
- This legislation affirms that “the life of each human being begins at fertilization, and preborn children have interests in life, health, and well-being that should be protected.”
- Medical and legal professionals alike acknowledge that a heartbeat is a universally accepted indicator that life exists and should be protected.
Please tell your state lawmakers that you support the Idaho Heartbeat Bill. It takes less than a minute if you use our Action Center to send your message now. And don’t forget to send this alert to your friends—we need Idahoans flooding their senators with messages supporting this pro-life legislation!
Standing with you for the sanctity of life,
I have a testimony to share with you.
Earlier this month, our Heartbeat Bill was pulled from consideration in the Idaho State Senate. The series of events that played out were upsetting for many reasons—but most importantly, I was especially devastated for the thousands of preborn children who could have been protected had the bill passed and gone into effect.
Imagine my surprise when I got a call earlier this week that the Heartbeat Bill would be reintroduced. The bill sponsors, Sen. Patti Anne Lodge (R-Caldwell) and Rep. Steven Harris (R-Meridian), have proven their pro-life bona fides through their ceaseless advocacy for this legislation.
Through all of this, I learned an important lesson. Everything we do at the Capitol is in the hands of our Lord. And it is all in His timing—not mine.
This morning I presented the new – and stronger – version of our Heartbeat Bill to the Senate State Affairs Committee. The committee decided to “print” the bill. This means the Heartbeat Bill is back before the legislature once again for consideration! It will receive a full committee hearing soon.
God is good. And we are trusting Him for the outcome, knowing that He is the one fighting the battle!
Please be in prayer as we shepherd the Heartbeat Bill through the legislative process. Consider a gift to Family Policy Alliance of Idaho to enable us to keep advocating for the sanctity of life. And be on the lookout for exciting announcements explaining ways you can get involved.
I will keep you updated. And may we keep trusting in Divine Providence!
Standing for life,
I have a confession to make. Because my wife made me, I have seen the movie Frozen. Please don’t think less of me.
The cartoon ice epic features a number of catchy tunes, and, outside of “Let it Go,” I don’t think there’s one that can get stuck in your head quicker than the enthusiastic “For the First Time in Forever.”
Yet, it’s that refrain that seems so fitting for the pro-life movement now. For the First Time in Forever… we are making significant gains. For the First Time in Forever… we have the Left on the defensive. For the First Time in Forever… we can truly imagine a day when the legalized taking of innocent human life will be no more.
More than any time since, well… forever, the pro-life movement has real momentum. Consider:
- States like Georgia, Alabama, Missouri, Ohio, Kentucky, and Mississippi have all signed sweeping pro-life legislation into law in the last couple of months with more on the way.
- Polling shows a groundswell of support for such legislation, with a majority saying they support legislation that protects unborn children with beating hearts.
- The life issue is once again at the forefront of the political dialogue, with pro-life candidates fully embracing their position and willing to highlight the extremism of the Left.
But, this momentum could not be more tenuous. The life issue will very much be on the ballot in 2020 here in Georgia and across the country. In Georgia, our legislature hangs in the balance. Nationally, the Supreme Court is at stake. In the battle for our culture, we still have much work to do as we seek to combat the liberal media and radical Hollywood voices.
That’s why it’s so imperative that we do not rest on the excitement of these recent gains. We must continue to put this before the Lord.
I’m asking that you join me in praying for our Governor, Lt. Governor, and leaders like Rep. Ed Setzler who have shown great courage and fortitude. Pray for HB 481, that this legislation leads to thousands of lives being saved. Lift up the 2020 elections and our efforts to protect those who voted for LIFE and unseat those who took the radical position that unborn children with beating hearts are NOT worth protecting. And, seek the Lord’s favor for this movement for a nation where life is cherished.
The fight is not over. We must continue to engage. With our pocketbooks. By pounding pavement for the pro-life candidates. And, on our knees in prayer.
President and Executive Director
We threw down the gauntlet.
In case you missed the articles in the AJC or the TV segment on WSB, we held a press conference where I was joined by legislators and key activists to affirm that Gwinnett County – where more than half the seats that went from pro-life to pro-abortion in 2018 are located – will boldly stand for life in 2020.
That was the easy part. Now, we have to back it up.
It’s imperative that we Take Back Gwinnett for Life in 2020 – the theme of our press conference – and that we turn our strong words into action. But, before we dive into strategy, I’m asking for 10 minutes of your time. 10 minutes devoted to prayer for the cause.
Pray for our efforts in support of:
- P.K. Martin, the Education Chairman who represents District 9, who gave one of the most moving speeches I’ve ever heard for the cause of life.
- Renee Unterman, who represents District 45, who boldly and winsomely carried the bill to passage in the Senate and has since been the subject of numerous threats. She is now running for Congress, and, while we are still working on our primary strategy for federal races, we are proud of her unshakeable commitment for the unborn.
- Bonnie Rich, a freshman legislator in District 97, who voted for the Heartbeat Bill despite being berated by pro-abortion activists prior to the vote.
- David Clark, from District 98, who was one of the primary legislators talking with us about the Heartbeat Bill even before it was filed.
- Chuck Efstration, from District 104, who never flinched in his support of the bill and was a strong influencer behind the scenes.
Each of these legislators are on the target lists of leftists working to undo the gains we have made for life. But, we have our own list including:
- Beth Moore, from House District 95, who attributed the pro-life movement to the devil on the floor of the House.
- Gregg Kennard, from House District 102, a “pastor” who runs a highly questionable “non-profit” and joined protesters in opposition to the Heartbeat Bill.
- Jasmine Clark, from House District 108, who slandered pro-life leaders saying they don’t care about the heartbeats of women – all while advocating for a position that destroys the heartbeats of countless unborn women.
These three freshmen legislators won by less than 700 votes, and we need your prayers that the Lord will raise up the right candidates to oppose them.
Much work is left to be done in this endeavor, but I want to open this quest by bathing it in prayer. Can you give us 10 minutes to pray for those who stood for life and for our efforts to unseat those who took the radical position that unborn babies with beating hearts and not worthy of protection?
May the Lord Bless this undertaking!
President and Executive Director
Paid for by Family Policy Alliance of Georgia