“I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your wonders of old.” -Psalm 77:11
On behalf of Family Policy Alliance of New Mexico®, I want to wish you a Happy New Year and extend my heartfelt thanks to all of you who supported us with your prayers and financial gifts in 2019. From the very beginning, I have said this and I will continue to say it—we could not do this without you!
As we begin 2020, I want to take a moment to reflect on what we have already done and what we plan to do. This week, let’s look back at what we accomplished together in 2019!
Our Top 3 Accomplishments of 2019
#1—We defeated radical, anti-life legislation during the 2019 Legislative Session!
Without a doubt, the 2019 Legislative Session was a historic time for our organization and the pro-life community in New Mexico. Not only did we defeat a dangerous assisted suicide bill, but we also sent shockwaves through the Capitol when we defeated the radical abortion-up-to-birth bill, HB51. Through our mobilization efforts—in partnership with New Mexico Right to Life and New Mexico Alliance for Life—thousands of phone calls and emails were sent to Legislators and the Governor, and pro-life citizens showed up in the thousands to stand for life. Perhaps most encouraging to me, pastors across the state spoke up on the issue and encouraged their church members to do the same.
#2—We sent two more New Mexican leaders to the Statesmen Academy!
During the summer of 2019, we, along with our sister organization – Family Policy Foundation®, were honored host the 2019 Statesmen Academy℠—a weeklong conference in Atlanta for on-the-rise Christian legislators and aspiring leaders. Representing New Mexico were Michael Hendricks and Pastor Brian Alarid. Statesmen Academy classes were taught by experienced Christian leaders including retired U.S. Senator Tom Coburn of Oklahoma; professor and author, Dr. Wayne Grudem; and Dr. Matt Spalding of Hillsdale College. The class also heard from Governor Brian Kemp who had recently signed Georgia’s “Heartbeat Bill.”
#3—We met our fundraising target for 2019!
In just our second year in operation, you helped us meet our bold fundraising goal for 2019. Raising the funds needed to sustain our operation is always a challenge, but thanks to ministry partners like you, we surpassed our prior year’s giving and began the new fiscal year on a high note.
Friends—this is what we have already done. And the good news is, we have exciting plans for 2020!
Next week, we will look at our Top 3 Goals for 2020. Until then, God bless you and best wishes for a joyful and prosperous new year!
President and Executive Director
P.S. As you plan your charitable giving for 2020, please keep us in mind and consider setting up a recurring monthly gift to support our efforts. 2020 will be full of opportunities and threats when it comes to the issues and values we care about. Together, however, and with the good Lord’s blessing, this will be a year in which we continue to move the ball forward for a New Mexico where God is honored, religious freedom flourishes, families thrive, and life is cherished. Thank you!
I get it… those New Year’s resolutions can be pesky. We do our best after the Christmas feast to lose weight, exercise, eat right, turn off the TV and read more books!
“We’re going to kick the old habits and start anew,” we say. Change doesn’t come easy.
Do you really want to get serious about restoring resolutions? Then, tell someone and give them permission to hold you accountable.
In that spirit, here are Family Policy Alliance’s resolutions for 2020. I ask you to keep us accountable throughout the year!
- Be Christ-centered in all we say and do.
- Identify Christian men and women who are called to serve in the mission field of American politics and commit to serving as Statesmen and Stateswomen—men and women committed to doing the right thing regardless of the personal consequences, knowing that God appoints people to places of authority (Rom. 13:1).
- Train these men and women in our week-long Statesmen training program—a program of our sister organization, Family Policy Foundation®—and throughout their careers in public service as Statesmen Alumni.
- As resources are provided, identify principled conservatives already in office—from school boards to Governors’ houses to Congress—and invest in their elections.
- Be a voice for the Church in our nation’s and states’ capitals. Speak into and equip the church to engage as biblical citizens. Mobilize these informed citizens to make their voices heard on issues that impact them, their families and the body of Christ.
- Serve an effective alliance of Statesmen, pastors, state policy and business leaders and biblical citizens who are all committed to standing firm and taking action (Dan. 11:32b).
- Be good stewards of the sacrificial resources our ministry partners provide, for which we are exceedingly grateful.
Here’s the kicker.
Transformation doesn’t come easy or in just one year. At Family Policy Alliance®, we are committed to these resolutions year over year until our nation is one where God is honored, religious freedom flourishes, families thrive and life is cherished.
Once accomplished, we resolve to sustain it for all our future families. Thank you for making our work together possible.
Happy New Year to you and your family from all of us at Family Policy Alliance,
President & CEO
It’s not out-of-the-norm to hear a phrase like “what on earth are you doing” being directed toward one of my 3 children. You see, they are naturally skilled troublemakers (from their mother, of course), and logic isn’t always the driving force in their decision-making process.
As a parent, it’s always fun hearing their explanations for the bizarre or bad thing they’ve just done – with my oldest son, Peyton (5), offering a detailed explanation that may or not make sense, my middle child, Cade (3), usually opting for a blunt shrug and “I don’t know” (admitting that he put absolutely zero thought behind his decision), and Jarrett (1) preferring to laugh at the suggestion that what he’d done was wrong and attempt to continue in his disruptive activity. (Again, they totally get it from their mom, of course).
Today, with a heart of gratitude, I want to provide you with some answers to exactly what your support of us has been doing and will do in the year to come.
With the end-of-the-year rapidly approaching, your mailbox and Inbox are likely filling up with solicitations for funds from various organizations looking to close out 2019 strong. As you weigh ministries to support, what you’re passionate about, and who you trust with your hard-earned resources, I want to make sure you know exactly what on earth your generosity toward Family Policy Alliance of Georgia® and Family Policy Foundation of Georgia® is doing:
- Fundamentally transforming the political culture in Georgia, as FPA partners with leaders for whom “what is the right thing” (as opposed to “what is the political thing”) is the foremost question in decisions
- Advancing the cause of life. As the leading organization fighting for the Heartbeat Bill, Family Policy Alliance is committed to continuing to promote a Georgia where all life is cherished – with adoption and foster care reform, abortion pill reversal, Simon’s Law, etc.
- Leading the charge in elections, as FPA is delivering the most significant pro-family elections plan we’ve ever seen – aimed at re-electing our pro-life President, our 2 pro-life US Senators, winning competitive US House races for our pro-family candidates, and expanding the majority of state legislators who share our values (actively monitoring, recruiting candidates, and building support in more than 40 “swing districts”)
- Expanding our programs to help the church be the church – with more talks at churches and bible studies, more resources, and a new program to train citizens in biblical citizenship
- Protecting children from the radical transgender agenda that is leading to the castration of our young people and the violation of privacy and fundamental fairness in locker rooms and on athletic fields.
- Supporting your right to school choice with Tebow legislation and other endeavors aimed to help make the route you’ve determined is best for your child easier to achieve
- Doing more to equip our Statesmen, growing our base of states in the movement, and engaging on a host of other issues
- Most foundationally, helping Christians fulfill the biblical mandate to love their neighbor through unleashing biblical citizenship!
No doubt, you have many worthy causes you have heard from in recent days. However, I want you to know that your support of us has provided the movement MAJOR momentum politically, empowered godly leaders, and strengthened the body of Christ in its mission to advance His truth. It’s been powerful to witness!
To build on this great work in 2020, I’m asking that you join us by contributing generously today.
This time next year, I look forward to writing about even more elections, policy, and “biblical citizenship” successes. Also, I hope to unveil plans to expand our ministry through new staff and programs. You’ve helped us grow dramatically over the last 12 months, and I’m looking forward to building on the momentum you’ve helped us establish.
So, what on earth are you doing? You’re glorifying God in Georgia as well as making a major difference in protecting life, advancing freedom, and increasing opportunity. You’re loving your neighbor, and you’re helping form a better world for the next generation. You’re at the forefront of the fight, and, unlike my children, I’m thankful you know exactly what you’re doing.
President and Executive Director
P.S. I can’t begin to tell you the incredible difference you’ve made. In less than 3 years of our ministry’s presence in Georgia, we’ve fundamentally changed the political climate in our state, and we’re only just getting started. The opportunity to make a difference is even greater in 2020, and I’m humbly asking you to partner with us with a generous gift today.
Wow, THANK YOU!
Because of generous supporters like you, our end of the year push was a major success and has us positioned for greater growth and impact as we head into 2019. I cannot tell you how grateful we are for your continued support, prayers, and encouragement!
Now, let’s win 2019.
The New Year always brings endless possibilities, hope, and optimism. It seems even more true this year. In days, Brian Kemp and other leaders you helped elect will be sworn in, and the 2019 legislative session will begin. While much hard work remains, the door is open for us to achieve real policy victories for families.
2019 could be the year Georgia passes major religious freedom legislation, protects human life, or opens the door for more school choice. THIS can be a year we can point to where, by standing together, our movement built the momentum to deliver long-term victories and establish our state as the national leader in championing the family.
On January 14th, Governor Kemp will officially be in office, and the process of passing legislation will begin in earnest. Before then, however, we will be hard at work putting the finishing touches on a strategy needed to win over the session.
In addition to our time at the legislature, we have the honor of hosting the Statesmen Academy® here in Atlanta this summer. Already, we have identified some outstanding candidates, and we hope to pack the training with rising leaders from our state.
There will also be special elections, preparation for 2020, more church engagement, and more outreach to the business community. All of this and more make 2019 a BUSY year- one where we will work relentlessly to WIN!
As I have shared before, my vision for our impact in the state is BIG, and my hope is that our continued growth will set us up to hire additional personnel in the state and continue making a greater impact. This year is a key part of making it all happen!
We’ve asked you for money frequently over the last several weeks, and I won’t do that today. But, I will ask you for prayer. Pray for 2019. Pray that we can WIN. Pray that we can be a great witness for our Lord. Pray that we can continue to build and grow so that we our impact on Georgia can expand greatly. And, pray for our state’s new leadership.
You have made this New Year truly special, and I hope you and your family are enjoying a blessed 2019. Together, I hope that THIS will be a year we look back upon as one where the tide turned toward a Georgia where God is honored, religious freedom flourishes, families thrive, and life is cherished.
For an impactful new year,
President and Executive Director