Prayers As the Nation Turns Toward 2023
As the nation has mostly turned its attention from the 2022 midterm elections and is fully looking ahead to the holidays, it is hard to believe that we are nearing the end the year – truly a year with a number of important milestones and challenges.
As we look ahead, there are some prayer points that continually come to our minds about where we have been in recent months, where we are now and what we see on the horizon.
- The elections are over, and the outcome is one that provides some renewed life into our efforts to support pro-life, pro-family issues across the nation. Please be in prayer for the U.S. House of Representatives as new leadership is selected and that Godly men and women would lead with wisdom and strength where God has placed them.
Pray that they would be wise in their words and actions and their impact would be great.
- Roe v. Wade – a landmark accomplishment 50 years in the making. A fabricated ruling from the beginning – Roe resulted in the destruction of hundreds of millions of lives. Overturning Roe was truly an historic moment for many who had worked a lifetime toward that goal. Nearly two generations of pro-life warriors (many who are no longer with us) stood strong and never gave up in order to see that day.
Already nearly half the states in the nation have acted to ban or restrict abortion – this was done either through laws that pre-dated Roe or though new legislation passed by courageous lawmakers across the nation.
- In January state legislatures across the nation will come together to begin a new year of work. We are thankful that we now have nearly 150 legislators in 35 states and (now!) 2 Members of Congress who have graduated from Family Policy Foundation’s Statesmen Academy! These men and women have been trained and equipped to work wisely and with truth on pro-life, pro-family issues.
Please be in prayer for them as they begin their work in 2023.
- Right now, the US Senate is waiting for an important election in Georgia – much like the last election cycle. As it has been for the past 2 years, the Democrats hold 50 seats as of today. The Georgia race could go either way and while it won’t change control in the Senate, who is elected in that race bears significant meaning.
Please pray that life will be honored in this race.
- The US House and US Senate have voted (and President Biden has signed into law) a redefinition of marriage – essentially codifying the 2015 Supreme Court decision legalizing homosexual marriage. This is a troubling development for religious institutions, churches and faith-based non-profits of many Christian denominations and even other religions because it goes even further than just homosexual marriage. This was all done in a rush to force it through Congress now before the US House officially changes leadership in January.
While legal battles are likely, this is a challenge for religious people and a spiritual battle that will be with us for a long time and one which deserves our prayer.
- With Roe v. Wade being overturned, the battle for life has shifted to the states. In addition to many states taking action to protect life as noted above, we saw some states go the opposite direction. Some codified abortion into law or enshrined it in state constitutions while others simply failed to find a majority to support pro-life amendments when given the opportunity. We are praying for those states and what is happening there. Historically, many states also enshrined slavery hundreds of years ago – a horrific moral scar for those states – and it too was eventually eliminated. While Roe has fallen, abortion will continue to be a battle that will unfortunately, in some areas, last another lifetime. We pray for leaders who will continue to march forward – beating the drum of the pro-life movement in those locations.
We know abortion is wrong and, much like slavery, one day we will look back and wonder how we ever allowed such a thing to occur in this land. We are praying that day is sooner than later.
- We are looking forward to 2023 and the work ahead of us to protect minor children from destructive medical procedures that permanently disfigure and sterilize. The medical and psychological community must come to understand the nature of what they are doing to children and its long-term effects.
We are praying for strong leaders and wise strategy as we move ahead in affirming parental rights and stopping these dangerous medical practices on minors in 2023.
I hope you can join us in celebrating these praises and praying for these other issues – the list is not exhaustive by any means. We will provide updates periodically in 2023 as we have now for the past 2 years. Please be sure to share this list at church and in your Sunday School class as well.
Director of Audience Engagement
PS – You can sign up to receive our Under God, One Nation prayer updates HERE.