Idaho is one step closer to legally protecting preborn babies with beating hearts! The Heartbeat Bill (H366), sponsored by Senator Patti Anne Lodge (R-Caldwell) and Representative Steven Harris (R-Meridian), passed the Idaho State House of Representatives last Friday with a veto-proof supermajority vote (53 for, 16 against, and 1 absent).
The floor debate lasted over one hour. Many pro-life legislators debated in favor of the bill. Below is a sampling of their comments:
REP. STEVEN HARRIS (R-Meridian): “We want to save baby lives. A preborn baby with a heartbeat has a 95% chance of reaching full-term. That sounds like viability… Let’s tell Idahoans that abortion stops a beating heart, something you can see and hear for yourself.”
REP. BRENT CRANE (R-Nampa): “You’re dead when you no longer have a heartbeat, so the inverse logic could apply that you are alive when a heartbeat [can be detected].”
REP. TAMMY NICHOLS (R-Nampa): “I hope that in the future, we can bring forth even stronger legislation and try to save all babies, because I think all lives do matter. Although sometimes it is a sacrifice to bring them into this world, I can never say that I’ve met anyone who has regretted that choice. And so I’ll be supporting this piece of legislation.”
REP. JULIANNE YOUNG (R-Blackfoot): “We protect freedom when we protect the conditions that allow freedom to exist, and life is one of those conditions. I’m a mother. I have ten children. I know a little bit about what it is like to have a baby. I’ve felt [preborn] babies respond to light, to music, to touch, to my voice. There’s no doubt in my mind that they are individuals and intelligent. You can’t protect freedom without protecting life.”
REP. JULIE YAMAMOTO (R-Nampa): “When a mother and a father have the opportunity to actually hear the heartbeat of that child in the womb, the chances of them making a decision to let that pregnancy go to term are just better.”
REP. KAREY HANKS (R-St. Anthony): “We believe that life starts at conception. If this is a way we can save some of these beautiful little children, I’m all for that. This became more real for me when I read a story about a woman who had been a director at [Planned Parenthood]. She said that a lot of these young women feel very desperate and don’t know what to do. It’s so great that now we have places like Stanton Healthcare [and other pregnancy resources centers].”
REP. RON NATE (R-Rexburg): “[I support this bill] because we do need to protect all innocent human life… We have the responsibility to protect our little ones.”
Did your state representative vote in favor of the Heartbeat Bill last Friday? Find out here. Then send them a message or give them a phone call to say “thank you!”
It has taken a long time to get to this point. Family Policy Alliance of Idaho will continue championing this bill in the Idaho State Senate and to the governor’s desk. Your action, prayers, and financial support have been indispensable—so thank you!
Standing for life,
This week, the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) announced it will not enforce a longstanding policy during the COVID-19 pandemic that requires abortion-inducing drugs to be dispensed during an in-person doctor’s visit. In-person appointments are critical to minimize serious health risks to women both before and after an abortion. But, the Biden Administration chose to appease the powerful abortion lobby instead of protecting women.
This announcement is very likely the pre-cursor to a permanent removal of this important safety regulation and others which will put countless women at risk of health complications, including death.
Chemical abortion is big—and risky—business, especially for Planned Parenthood, where chemical abortion makes up 56% of all abortions performed. This is not by accident. Abortion activists have been quietly building a new business model to target young women through their phones and the internet. When safety regulations are loosened – as the FDA has just done – women suffer. Abortion-inducing drugs are four times more dangerous than surgical abortion, and can cause severe infection, heavy bleeding, loss of fertility and even death.
The change in policy at the FDA is just the latest example of the Biden Administration’s anti-woman agenda, which also includes a push to allow men to take women’s places in athletic competitions and to give them access to private women’s spaces like locker rooms, bathrooms and shelters. Fortunately, the states are pushing back on the Administration’s radical social agenda and are making great strides to protect women.
Family Policy Alliance is part of a national coalition of pro-life, pro-woman organizations that has been working across the nation this year to regulate the chemical abortion industry state by state. We realized last year that the federal FDA safety regulations for chemical abortion drugs were at great risk of repeal if a pro-abortion president were elected. It’s clear that each state must pass protocols to regulate the dispensing and reporting of abortion-inducing pills if women are to be protected long-term.
Already, six states (Arizona, Arkansas, Indiana, Montana, Oklahoma, and Texas) have acted on our coalition’s model legislation to codify the FDA’s longstanding safety regulations, prevent mail-order abortions, and mandate reporting of chemical abortions. Half of them – Arkansas, Indiana, and Montana – are awaiting their governor’s signature, and several more states are expected to introduce the legislation soon.
As the Biden Administration runs full steam ahead with an anti-woman and anti-life agenda, FPA and our allies will continue to advocate for the rights and safety of women and children in every state. Your support – both prayerfully and financially – enables us to keep fighting for the family. For that, we are most grateful.
Director, External Relations
Here’s a quick update on where we are at this point in legislative session:
1. The Heartbeat Bill (H366) is making its way through the state legislature. This legislation would protect a preborn child with a detectable heartbeat from abortion violence. It is sponsored by Rep. Steven Harris (R-Meridian) and Sen. Patti Anne Lodge (R-Caldwell).
2. The No Public Funds For Abortion Act (H220) would cut off taxpayer dollars to abortion providers and ban public schools, colleges, and universities from promoting or referring students for abortion services. The bill overwhelmingly passed the State House of Representatives and is waiting for a vote in the State Senate. It is sponsored by Rep. Bruce Skaug (R-Nampa) and Sen. Christy Zito (R-Hammett).
3. House Joint Resolution 4 (HJR4) is a proposed constitutional amendment that would raise the threshold that must be met before controlled substances like marijuana could be legalized in Idaho. It is sponsored by Rep. Gayann DeMordaunt (R-Meridian) and Sen. C. Scott Grow (R-Meridian). Family Policy Alliance of Idaho sent a letter to state legislators encouraging their support (you can read it here).
We will keep you updated as these bills move through the legislative process. Please be praying that the legislature passes, and that the governor signs, these pieces of legislation. We expect session to continue for at least one more week.
Heartbeat Bill Prayer Rally
Around 150 people joined Family Policy Alliance of Idaho on the Idaho State Capitol steps last week to offer praise and worship to our Lord and pray for the passage of the Idaho Heartbeat Bill.
The battle to end abortion in our state is a spiritual battle. For this reason it was a blessing to gather with other believers as we waged spiritual warfare with prayer and worship!
Speakers included Blaine Conzatti (Family Policy Alliance), Christian Welp (Roman Catholic Diocese of Boise), Tammy Payne and Jason Herring (Right to Life of Idaho), Linda Thomas (Stanton Healthcare), Heather Lawless (Reliance Ministries), Monte Sears (Christian Faith Center), Alan Burrow (The King’s Congregation), and Josh Bales (The Well Church). Rep. Brent Crane (R-Nampa) and Senators Patti Anne Lodge (R-Caldwell), Christy Zito (R-Hammett), and Regina Bayer (R-Meridian) also joined us.
Thanks for your financial support. Together we will keep working for an Idaho where God is honored, religious freedom flourishes, families thrive, and life is cherished!
Those who stand for a state where families thrive, religious freedom flourishes, and life is cherished have 6 reasons to rejoice after the legislative session ended. Family Policy Alliance of Wyoming tracked 20 separate pieces of legislation, both good and bad, through the Legislative session this year. Thankfully, most of the damaging legislation was stopped and 6 bills have received their final signature from the Governor. One bill still remains on the Governor’s desk awaiting his endorsement.
|Bill Number||Subject||FPA-WY Position||Status of the Bill (Committee)|
|HB 085||Unlawful Dissemination of Intimate Image||For||SIGNED BY GOVERNOR|
|HB 253||University of Wyoming-ban on funding for abortions||For||SIGNED BY GOVERNOR|
|SF 034||Born Alive-Infant Means of Care||For||SIGNED BY GOVERNOR|
|SF 087||Voyeurism Amendments||For||SIGNED BY GOVERNOR|
|SF 096||Homicide Amendments||For||SIGNED BY GOVERNOR|
|SF 130||Charter Schools||For||Governor’s Desk|
The session was very successful, and it has been wonderful to watch a number of new legislators stand strong for biblical values. In the coming weeks we will provide you details of how the legislators stood on Life, Liberty and Family Values.
Thank you again for your support and it is a blessing to partner together to encourage the historic values that made our nation great in the halls of Wyoming government.
Your efforts to stop the reckless and dangerous so-called Reproductive Freedom Act is working! New Jersey political media recently covered the bill’s lack of support in both parties. Your advocacy, your prayers, and your participation in pro-life rallies across the state is making a difference, but this is no time to quit. The Big Abortion Industry, led by Planned Parenthood, is not giving up their demands to codify abortion up to birth and force medical professionals to perform abortions against their own conscience with your money.
The coalition of pro-life organizations working together to defeat this bill have organized our next Day of Action, Prayer, and Protest on Saturday, April 17 from 10AM-Noon.
The offices of Senator Joe Vitale and Assemblyman Craig Coughlin
569 Rahway Ave., Woodbridge, NJ 07095
Senator Vitale is the chair of the Senate Health Committee and Assemblyman Coughlin is the Speaker of the Assembly. These men have distinct leadership roles in the legislature to stop this bill from moving forward.
Let’s act like lives depend on it – because they do!
A powerful bill protecting live babies has passed the Legislature! Senate File 34 (Born-Alive-Infant Means of Care) is an important bill that affirms a simple truth: babies born alive after an attempted abortion deserve the same right to medical care as any other infant.
Last year, a similar bill passed with supermajorities in both houses of the legislature, yet the Governor vetoed the bill at the last minute.
This year, the bill was slightly modified and resubmitted as Senate File 34 (Born Alive Infant-Means of Care). It passed with even more votes than last year!
This year, 26 of 30 Senators and 48 of 60 Representatives voted to pass the bill. This was a gain of 3 votes in the Senate and 4 votes in the House of Representatives.
But now we need your support. We need you to email the Governor of Wyoming and ask him to endorse Senate file 34 (Born Alive-Infant Means of Care). It only takes a minute at our Action Center. Click here to send a message now!
Let’s make sure that this time, the bill becomes law.
Family Policy Alliance of Wyoming’s mission is and will always be to defend the lives of the most vulnerable among us. We will continue to advance citizenship where life is cherished, religious freedom flourishes, families thrive, and God is honored.
Thank you to every state legislator and the numerous people from across Wyoming who worked tirelessly on this legislation. Last year’s veto only showed us even more the need for us to stand alongside and partner with elected officials that also choose to defend the lives of the most vulnerable. And now, we prayerfully hope that with your help the Governor will choose to sign this bill. Please send the Governor a message today.
Thank you for standing with us!
P.S. Now is the time to contact the Governor. Please do so today! After you’ve sent him a message, you can also call him at (307) 777-7434.
The Idaho State Legislature returns today after recessing for two weeks because of COVID-19 spread at the State Capitol.
This is the home stretch of the legislative session—and time is running out on important pro-life bills. Here are three actions that you can take to make your voice heard:
- Send a message right now to your state legislators asking them to support the Heartbeat Bill (S1183). We need your help in flooding legislative inboxes with emails supporting this important protection for preborn life. Since the legislature has been out for two weeks, we’d recommend resending your legislators the message, even if you’ve sent it before.
- Sign our petition asking state legislators to defund Planned Parenthood and other abortion providers. The petition will be presented to legislators tomorrow when our No Public Funds For Abortion Act is given a hearing in Senate committee.
- Attend the Heartbeat Bill Prayer Rally on this Thursday, April 8th. We will sing praises to our Lord as we pray for greater protections for the preborn in our state. This event will take place at 5:30pm MT on the State Capitol steps. More details here: https://fb.me/e/PH2AvWyh.
Thanks for your prayers and financial support as we finish the race strong! With your help, Family Policy Alliance of Idaho will keep working for an Idaho where God is honored, religious freedom flourishes, families thrive, and life is cherished.
Standing with you,
We only have a few weeks left of legislative session. That means the team at Family Policy Alliance of Idaho will be using every minute available to us to shepherd our Heartbeat Bill (S1183) across the finish line.
Will you join us for the Heartbeat Bill Prayer Rally next week as we come before the Lord to worship and seek him?
WHEN: Thursday, April 8th at 5:30pm MT
WHERE: Idaho State Capitol Steps (700 West Jefferson St, Boise, ID 83702)
WHAT: We will praise and worship our Lord as we take a public stand for greater legal protections for preborn children!
EVENT PAGE: https://fb.me/e/PH2AvWyh
The Heartbeat Bill would save almost all babies from abortion if it were enacted into law and made effective. Let’s make sure we all get involved to protect these precious lives.
We look forward to seeing you at the Heartbeat Bill Prayer Rally!
P.S. Please send an email to your state legislators right now asking for them to support the Heartbeat Bill. Since the legislature has been out for two weeks, we’d recommend resending your legislators the message, even if you’ve sent it before.
It only takes a minute of your time when you use our Action Center. Your emails will help push the Heartbeat Bill across the finish line. Thanks!
The “No Public Funds For Abortion Act” (HB 220), which is sponsored by Sen. Christy Zito (R-Hammett) and Reps. Bruce Skaug (R-Nampa) and Brent Crane (R-Nampa), would achieve four things:
1. Prevents state and local money from being used to promote or provide abortions. A transition report issued under the auspices of Mayor Lauren McClean (D-Boise) broadcasted the City of Boise’s intention to offer free abortions to city residents, something that would not be allowed if HB 220 becomes law. Abortion should never be subsidized with our tax dollars.
2. Ends the current practice of public colleges and universities dispensing abortifacients and referring students to abortion providers. Every public university in Idaho – including Boise State University and the University of Idaho – currently offers abortifacients that can end a pregnancy after conception. Our public institutions of higher learning should not be promoting abortion and abortifacients to students with our tax dollars.
3. Keeps Planned Parenthood out of public schools. Planned Parenthood is one of the largest providers of radical ‘comprehensive sexual education’ instruction in public schools nationwide. This bill would make sure Idaho public school students don’t learn about sexuality from the abortion industry.
4. Prohibits abortion providers from receiving grants through the Title X Family Planning program and other non-Medicaid federal programs. Although the Trump Administration excluded abortion providers from the federal family planning program, the Biden Administration has started the process to allow abortion providers to reenter the program. Furthermore, President Biden recently signed a $1.9 trillion stimulus package which includes more than $450 billion that can be used to pay for abortion and support abortion providers. We want to make sure abortion providers in Idaho can’t access that money!
We don’t want our state or local government sending our hard-earned money to abortion providers—and we certainly don’t want abortionists providing services in our public schools and universities. Please sign our petition today to make your voice heard!
Standing with you,
The train is headed right for you and your family. Think fast. What do you do?
Step out of the way? Absolutely. Try to call ahead and get someone to help stop the train? Even better. You don’t want anybody else to have a close call, or worse, be hit.
Well, let me tell you, the train of the cancel culture and moral relativism is headed right for you, and you better do something, or you and your family will be the next victims.
The new social “woke” way of thinking is that you’re either on board our train, or you’re about to be run over by it. The train is huge and is pulling many cars. Train cars with names such as Gender Rights, Abortion without Restriction, Something for Nothing, Political Correctness, I’m a Victim, Media Bias, Kill Free Speech, and many others. They are all brimming with contents, already spilling out over the landscape of our country.
You and your family can certainly step out of the way. But I don’t suggest you try to escape this dreadnought barreling towards you on your own, for it will certainly squash you like a bug if you try.
Or, you can try to stop the train. Try to protect your family and other families. Stop the wanton spread of these concepts antithetical to your values in every way. But that’s hard isn’t it? It paints a target on your back, and I don’t blame you for not wanting to go there.
Let me clue you in on something. At Family Policy Alliance of North Dakota we already have a big target on our backs. In fact, the train sometimes will take a new track just to go out of its way and try to hit us and other organizations like us. But we’re not about to stop standing for our collective values.
We feel the pressure to simply “stop making trouble” during the legislative session. I’ve actually been told that! Many would have us quietly fade into the background until we’ve lost all our relevance and credibility.
That’s not going to happen.
We have testified and submitted written support or opposition on bills 41 times already this session. And that doesn’t include all the alerts, emails, discussions with legislators, etc. That is us protecting your values in the halls of Bismarck. We are trying to stop the train.
What can you do to help us stop the train? Two main things:
- Respond to our email and Facebook alerts to contact your Senators and Representatives on key bills. Doing this through our alert system truly takes less than a couple minutes and does make a difference. On one recent bill, each member of the Senate received over 100 emails from each of you. That’s 4,700 total emails that were sent out. Do you think that mattered? Absolutely.The key bill right now is HB1298, the Fairness in Girls’ Sports bill. If you haven’t already, take two minutes and please respond to our request for emails through our system.
- Please support our work. We receive no other financial help to do all this legislative work other than through your generous donations. Your financial support goes entirely to accomplish our work here in North Dakota, so please consider helping us out.
Whether you bury your head in the sand or not, the train trying to destroy the values you hold dear is well on its way and picking up speed, thanks to the Biden Administration and the resulting liberal arrogance it has ignited. Help us stop the train. It won’t be easy, but all our lives and those of the next generations are on the line.
President & Executive Director