Kansas is neighborly and welcoming – a great place to raise a family and to live out your faith.
But now, the city council of one of our communities, Mission, is considering an ordinance that would punish people for their ideas and beliefs. This is a battle that needs the attention of all Kansans; if it hasn’t come to your locality already, it could at any time.
The ordinance is known as a SOGI law because it offers special protections for “sexual orientation and gender identity” classes.
Do you remember Jack Phillips? He is the Colorado baker who recently won a Supreme Court case, after being prosecuted under a SOGI law for declining to bake a cake celebrating a same-sex wedding.
Do you remember Barronelle Stutzman? She is the florist in Washington State who is also being prosecuted under SOGI laws for declining to provide flowers for a same-sex wedding. She, like Jack, is at grave risk of losing her home and business from fines and legal costs.
On Wednesday night, October 3rd, the Mission City Council will hold a hearing on their proposed SOGI ordinance.
Here are three ways that you can make a difference:
- Speak up! You can send an email to the mayor and all 8 council members in just moments on our Action Center. Also, here are their names and numbers if you’d like to call:
Mission City Council Members
- Mayor Ron Appletoft: 913-677-1706
- Ward 1: Pat Quinn: 913-207-3106
- Ward 1: Hillary Parker Thomas: 913-961-4520
- Ward 2: Nick Schlossmacher: 913-788-6425
- Ward 2: ArcieRothrock: 913-568-2872
- Ward 3: Kristin Inman: 816-510-7698
- Ward 3: Debbie Kring: 913-722-6901
- Ward 4: Ken Davis: 913-669-7095
- Ward 4: Sollie Flora: 913-735-4882
- Show up! It’s important that council members see and hear members of their community who are opposed to this ordinance. The Mission City Council meeting begins at 6:30 p.m. at 6090 Woodson Road, Mission, KS 66202.
- Share this with others, especially those who live in Mission.
No one should be forced to give up their faith in order to earn a living. Thank you for helping to keep the faith in Mission!
President and Executive Director