“When the righteous are in authority, the people rejoice; But when a wicked man rules, the people groan.” –Proverbs 29:2
On Sunday, September 20 and Sunday, October 4, churches across New Mexico and America will unite for Voter Registration Sunday.
Is your church one of them?
Our country has a crisis of low voter turnout and Christian voter turnout is no exception to this. It is estimated that over 25 million Christians did not vote in the 2016 election, and an estimated 15 million Christians are not even registered to vote.
While there is no verse in the Bible which states, “thou shall vote,” God’s Word does challenge us as followers of Christ to influence our communities for our own good and, more important, for the good of others (Jeremiah 29:7; Galatians 6:10). We can do that in part by voting – not principally as Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians, or Independents – but as Christians.
Voting is one of our greatest rights as citizens of the United States and it is also our responsibility as Christians. As good stewards of God’s blessings, Dr. Wayne Grudem writes that “every Christian citizen who lives in a democracy has at the very least a minimal obligation to be well-informed and to vote for candidates and policies that are most consistent with biblical principles.”
This November, we have the opportunity to elect leaders — from the White House in D.C., to the State House in Santa Fe — who will determine our future on several critical issues including protecting babies in the womb, preserving our First Amendment rights, strengthening the family, and extending care and compassion to those in need.
Step one in this effort is voter registration and we hope you and your church will join us.
Here is what you can do!
- Share this information with your pastor and/or church leaders.
- Save the dates – Sunday September 20 and Sunday, October 4 – or select some other date that works for your church. Some churches choose to have voter registration available for multiples Sundays and services leading up to the election. (Please note, the deadline in New Mexico to register online to vote is October 6.)
- Visit our voter registration webpage to make sure you are registered to vote, then share the link with friends and family members.
- Download this short, accessible guide for hosting a voter registration at your church. The guide includes printable postcards and posters with a QR code that individuals can scan to start the voter registration process.
- Host your Voter Registration Sunday!
Thank you for joining us in this effort as we seek the welfare of our nation and love our neighbors through civic engagement.
Pastor Vince Torres
President & Executive Director
P.S. If you are not yet registered to vote, simply scan the QR code below using your phone’s camera to get started!