|…if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. – 2 Chronicles 7:14|
Today is National Day of Prayer– a day set aside for a national observance of God’s sovereignty over our nation, whether it be his provision, judgment, blessing or protection.
Whether gathered together in groups, alone during quiet times, in Bible studies or even in worship services, multitudes will pray for our nation today. Many will pray for revival…many will pray for repentance…many will pray for mercy…many will pray specifically for leaders, certain policies and certainly our wayward culture…the list goes on and on
Our nation has seen times of great prosperity and times of tribulation. We have seen leaders, presidents, and cultural icons come and go. We have, as a nation, suffered tragedy and triumph. Through it all, two things have been constant.
The Lord has always been, and always will be, over every circumstance our nation faces.
And He hears our prayers.
While last year’s National Day of Prayer event in Washington, DC, was canceled due to COVID fears, this year’s national gathering has been canceled because the Capitol is now surrounded by fences with no public visitors allowed. It is an unmistakable bellwether of the direction our nation has taken in recent months.
And yet here is our great and hopeful truth: no matter the fences, viruses, rulers, policies, laws, or mandates, none of them can stop prayer. Nothing can.
As we looked around and saw cultural decay, political strife, radicalization of public policy, a disregard for truth, cancel culture, and a headlong dive into progressivism, we knew that initiating prayer was the right step. We called it Under God – One Nation, and many of you signed up to join us in those prayers.
Since then, we have been providing prayer updates on the issues we see affecting our nation and how we have been praying about them. Whether it is cultural change, the Biden-Harris Administration, Congress or legislative challenges in one state or another, there is no end to the things that we can be praying for, and we hope you will join us in prayer today (and every day).
Over the past few months, we have seen prayers answered with victories in a number of states. We also have ongoing prayer for things that we are trusting the Lord to work out, remembering that He hears our prayers and that our persistence is key.
- Pro-Life victories – Over 60 pro-life laws have been enacted in various states across the nation!
- Girls’ and Women’s Sports – Several states have enacted protections to safeguard girls’ sports from male participants.
- Preservation of the Hyde Amendment – this important provision keeps federal taxpayer dollars from funding abortion, and removing its protections is a major goal of some on the Left.
- Defeat of the Equality Act – The Equality Act is a dangerous piece of legislation that would defy science by redefining sex (male or female) throughout federal law.
- Protection of the unborn – Sadly, the Biden-Harris Administration has rolled back many pro-life rules and is promoting abortion at breakneck speed.
- Senate Filibuster – Currently the filibuster is the only thing keeping the Senate from passing many dangerous pieces of legislation. It hangs by a thread in the 50-50 Senate.
We hope you will join us.
This year marks 70 years since Reverend Billy Graham stood on the steps of the Capitol in Washington, DC, and called for Congress and the president to establish a day of prayer. In April of that year, President Truman signed the legislation into law.
We live in a different culture now, but we know that regardless of the political, cultural and policy changes that occur, God is still in control and nothing passes his notice…nothing.