Congress is working to pass an omnibus spending bill by the end of the week. Within the bill, they plan to include a reauthorization of the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) and may attempt to remove critical Hyde protections— which would force taxpayers to pay for abortions.
The original VAWA was passed in 1994 with the goal of protecting women from violent crimes. Unfortunately, the bill to reauthorize VAWA goes far beyond that purpose and contains provisions that pose harm to women and babies in the womb.
Here are 5 problems with VAWA:
- VAWA allows biological men into women’s shelters.Women seeking protection, especially from male abusers, should not be forced to share intimate spaces with men.
- VAWA includes Equality Act language.The bill should be focused on women, but instead includes language that allows biological men to claim they are women throughout the bill.
- VAWA gives money to Planned Parenthood.
The nation’s largest abortion provider, Planned Parenthood, received VAWA grant funds in the past and will easily receive funds under the current legislation.
- VAWA creates a new grant of $8 million for LGBT issues.This bill should focus solely on its original purpose–to protect biological women.
- VAWA equates fathers encouraging their wife or girlfriend to choose life with domestic violence.The bill implies that men who discourage their partner from having an abortion commit “reproductive coercion,” and puts pro-life fathers on par with domestic abusers.
In addition, there are concerns on Capitol Hill that the Left will attempt to remove Hyde Amendment protections and increase spending for abortion providers in the omnibus. This would force taxpayers to pay for abortions and give more taxpayer funds to abortion businesses like Planned Parenthood.
Please tell your Member of Congress and both U.S. Senators to remove harmful VAWA language and protect the Hyde Amendment by simply visiting our Action Center! Your voice can make a difference for women and babies in the womb!
For women and life,